Learn To Fill Each Other's Cup
Cathy Armstrong, RN, MS, LPC-S
16 week Challenge to a Being Happier
Telephone: (361) 688-8200
Premarital Counseling, Couples Repair, Enlightened Relationship Workshops
Premarital counseling is for engaged couples who want to improve their communication, work out their differences, learn to agree to disagree and create a strong, healthy relationship before they walk down the aisle and say , "I Do!" We offer individual sessions to address your personal and unique needs as a couple.Premarital counseling can give you a better chance for a forever and satisfying marriage by helping you identify your individual strengths and weaknesses and the issues from your past ( past traumas, past hurts from previous failed relationships, unresolved family of origin issues, personal issues with anger, power, jealousy, and control} that that could become problems later from the I Do's to Shift to I Don'ts. Premarital Counseling is an important investment every couple needs to make for a long lasting committed and happy relationship. We offer faith based and Christian Counseling/Catholic/Non Denominational Holy Spirit based and Traditional Counseling. Christian Counseling is offered only by request. Traditional Research Based Counseling is offered using research based theories such as the Gottman Method-uses couples therapy techniques ti improve affection, closeness, and respect for each other. This method helps to resolve conflict when you feel that you're stuck and cannot move forward. As a couple you will learn to sit calmly and discuss problems together as you learn to really understand each other with respect. This method of couples therapy helps you state your needs and stresses conflict management rather than conflict resolution. Trust and commitment to a lifetime relationship is stressed.
We have many plans to choose from. Schedule a one time 90 minute session or choose from a variety of bundle packages.
Narrative Therapy is a way to move away from the Negative by learning to describe your problems in narrative form, then helps you to rewrite the negative part of the story. By acknowledging that problems do not define people but problems are something we have as individuals you learn to look at problems from different points of view.
Stand in strength and love committed to loving each other more each day and Learn:
- How to cope with stressors caused by work, schedule conflict, changes, transitions and other outside occurrences such as caring for an elderly parent or death of a loved one.
- How to keep your romance alive in marriage and continue to show each other each day how you love them more and more.
- How to identify Individual needs and Individual Expectations.
- How to incorporate the importance of touch, eye contact, intimacy, respect, acceptance, attention, affection, sexual needs, emotional needs, time together, spiritual and psychological needs of the relationship and each individual so that you do not drift apart.
- How to deal with anger, frustration, impatience, or lack of communication.
- How to resolve your individual or familial differences or conflict and learn about each other’s background and explore your family of origin. Cope with in-law issues as your strength as a couple grows stronger!
- How to identify the potholes in your current relationships and create your own vision and mission statement for your relationship.identifying their philosophical stance towards their relationship.
The Enlightened Relationship Workshop includes:
- Identifying Your Strengths and Weakness as Individuals, Couples, Adult Children, Parents, etc.
- Clarifying your individual expectations of each other in a relationship
- Identifying Signs of Toxic Communication
- Stop Making Excuses
- Identify if you Point the Finger...are you a Blamer or a Giver?
- Identifying Who Does Problem or Issue Belong To
- Cutting Cords on Unhealthy Communication Patterns
- How to identify what to leave at the Front Door
- What you want to Flush, Fertilize, or Keep
- Exploring communication styles and identifying your blind spots
- Conflict Resolution, Write your own vows and remember to read what you wrote
- Couples Communication Inventory, Taking personal responsibility for the part you play
- Intimacy and sexuality Identifying your needs as a unique individual
- Working together as a couple and not giving up your own self/identity
- Creating a partnership of equality
- Identify ways to grow closer as a couple when stress piles up
- Writing a mission statement about your marriage
- Create a vision for your marriage and identify ways to keep it
- Identify a plan to maintain faith and hope even in the darkest of times
My Approach To Couples Counseling
I offer integrative couples therapy utilizing a combination of the various couples counseling methods I have outlined. I'm here to provide a comprehensive relationship and marital education program that helps couples learn tools and techniques to create a healthy and happy marriage or committed life together. You will be able to express your personal expectations about yourself, the relationship and your partner. Issues of responsibilities and selfishness will be explored. We will discuss healthy communication and explore how destructive communication can damage a relationship. Issues of sexual intimacy, sex addiction, pornography as well as expectations, communication, sexual appetite and pleasure will be addressed.
I see many couples for marriage counseling that either failed to talk about their likes, dislikes, ineffective communication issues, anger and resentment, disagreements about how to handle finances, spending allowances, goals as a couple, unresolved issues with attention, sex, power and control, religious differences, extended family problems before they said the magic words, "I do." Most people marry thinking that the "red flags" they saw will go away after they get married. Wrong! I am here to help your strengthen your relationship and learn to get through life working, playing, praying, and staying together.
- The Traditional Journey Workshop for Couples is structured for the needs of each couples
- I offer 2 Tracks of the same program, one being is non-religious program offering a variety of exercises and discussions, needs assessments, inventories, and are tailor made to fit the needs of each couple and a modified version that is Faith Based that utilized prayer, scripture (based on the individual faith of each couple.) If a couple is of different religious affiliation we will explore ways to create harmony and avoid religious conflict within the marriage or relationship. I have both secular and non -secular degrees and advanced training in pastoral counseling and am an ordained minister with a non-related counseling degree in religious studies and ordination as a minister (non-counseling related). I am available to discuss any issues about spirituality and religion you might have as a couple. I am able to incorporate your religious values, practices, and beliefs into our sessions together and respect them at whatever level of involvement they may have in your lives.
- Both tracks are about Real Life and ways to work together as a couple when conflict, change, and stress gets in the way of the marriage. Both track include a variety of research based couples therapy methods.
Telephone: (361) 688-8200Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor # 12418