- TX LPC CEU Provider
- Event Speaker, Consultant on Perinatal Mental Health, Postpartum Depression, and Birth Trauma
- Board Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist Fellow
- Provider of 50 Hour Hypnotherapy LPC CEU Training Course
- Trained in Certified Integrative Mental Health Medicine Provider (CIMGMP)
- Trained in Certified Addictions-Informed Mental Health Professional (CAIMHP)
- Trained In EMDR for Trauma, Tapping, Somatic Therapies, Yoga for Healing Emotional Trauma
- Trained in Meditation and Mindfulness, Prenatal Mother -Baby Bonding
- Trained in Trauma , Complex Trauma, Family Trauma, Birth Trauma
- Private Practice Counselor, Over 25 years of Clinical Experience
- Consultant to Licensed Professional Counselors Creating a Private Practice
- Trained In Rational Emotive Therapy and participated in a live training with Albert Ellis
- Trained in CBT for depression, anxiety, phobias, and fears
- Consultant to TX LPC Supervisors staring New Careers superevising LPC Interns
- Registered Nurse with over 40 years experience in mental health, substance abuse, psychiatric nursing
- Former LCDC working in community, in patient and out patient settings
- Provider of the 40 Hour Texas LPC Supervisor Training Course
- Secular and Non Secular Education
- Day Care Centers- Play Therapy, Consultation, Family and Individual Counseling
- Schools- All Grades Consultant, Counselor, Behavior Therapist
- Head Start- Play Therapy, Parenting, Family Counseling
- Community Organizations- Registered Nurse, Case Management, Counselor
- Medical and Psychiatric Hospitals- Intake and Screening, LPC Intern and Professional Counselor Adult, Adolescents, Children, Individual, Groups, Family Therapy, Mental Health & Substance Abuse Counseling
- Outpatient & In-Patient Units- Substance Abuse Counselor,( Former LCDC ) , LPC
- Boot Camp- Counselor/Psychotherapist LPC
- Private Practice- Hypnotherapist, Licensed Professional Counselor, Consultant, LPC Supervisor, LPC CEU Provider
- Bariatric Weight Loss Clinic-Professional Counselor,Assessments, Group Facilitator RN, Clinical Hypnotherapist
- Relationship Repair, Couples, PreMarital, Marriage Counseling, Relationship Workshop Facilitator
- Animal Assisted Therapist, Former Play Therapist
- Grief, Pastoral, Faith Based Counseling, Spiritual Counseling
Professional Career Experience as a RN includes:
- Mental Health Community Settings, Hospital, Outpatient Settings
- Psychiatric Nursing Inpatient Settings, Group Facilitator, Intakes and Admissions
- Bariatric Weight Loss Center, Intakes, Screenings, Group Facilitator, Nutrition and Weight Loss Educator
- Labor and Delivery, Home Trainer Birth to 3, Doula, Childbirth Educator, Lactation Educator
- Hypno-Fertility and Hypnosis-Birthing Practitioner
- Wellness Coach and Nutrition Consultant-Private Practice
- Hypnosis, EFT (Tapping), Guided Imagery, Former Yoga Therapist, Meditation Teacher, Reiki Master, Energy Work Practitioner
- Patient Educator
About Cathy :
I am a strong believer in encouragement, praise, confidence building, faith, and hope. My goal is to address my clients and LPC hypnotherapy students and LPC Interns with kind words, compassion, and gentle guidance. I strive to help others identify and feel good about their strengths, successes, and accomplishments. Together we gently explore blind spots, limitations, and weaknesses. I respect those that I supervise and encourage full participation when we discuss treatment planning, case studies, board rules, counseling theories, methods, etc. I encourage those that I supervise to self reflect, self monitor, explore, create, and become the best at what they are set out to do. Currently I have taken my practice to a deeper level of understanding how the mind, body, and spirit all work together to create change and transformation. I am accepting new clients that are 100% committed to change and willing to participate fulling in the partnership we create together. My focus is now on fear release, and working through the emotional, spiritual, and psychological obstacles that we create in our minds. We explore the root cause, and using tools of hypnotherapy, guided meditation, thought stopping using CBT tools, various integrative research based theories, hope, and faith. We explore how the words we you have so much power and control over our actions, thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and our success and failures.
I believe life works best for me when I create a sense of balance, inner peace, forgiveness (letting go of my own personal mistakes, releasing fears, self-judgements/criticism, worth through and let go of old hurts and wounds from the past). For me, I strive to create a life that comes with ease, joy, and inner peace. Everyday is a blessing and a new begging. We do not need to wait for tomorrow to tell ourselves we missed the mark, I can stop and start over right now to create new possibilities by my words, thoughts, beliefs, and actions! Personally and professionally, I work hard to create a life that includes healthy lifestyle choices, meditation, prayer, exercise, self-reflection, compassion and self-forgiveness. I accept feedback from others that is delivered with kindness and compassion and accept that we all have a blind side, me included!
I have both secular and nonsecular education and training. I have a passion for providing integrative mental health services and help others achieve a sense of direction, creating balance, joy, and peace of mind. I enjoy teaching the art of happiness and letting go of fear!
I offer a variety of professional adult counseling services for individuals, couples and groups for:
- Postpartum Depression, Miscarriage, Birth Trauma, and Infant Loss.
- Family and Friends of Loved Ones to Suicide, Homicide, and Unexpected Sudden Death.
- Fear and Anxiety Release.
- Trauma Recovery and Personal Growth
- Food Addiction and Compulsive Binge Eating.
- Men's Group for Sex Addiction and Pornography.
- Women's Group for Codependency, Self-Love, Relationship Issues
- Trauma Recovery From Toxic Narcissistic Personality Trait Relationships
- Couples Counseling, Communication Enhancement
July 2020, Currently Accepting New LPC Interns Committed and Eager to Learn!
- Are You Looking an LPC Intern Supervisor with extensive mental health experience, strong clinical skills in assessment, diagnosis, and treatment ?
- Do you need additional training in a variety of different counseling methods and population diversity?
- Are you looking to open your own counseling office or work in a private practice setting once you are fully licensed?
- Do you feel like you got the basics in school and need to add additional skills, tools, and confidence in working with a variety of populations that you serve?
- Are you interested in learning to be on the cutting edge of what is new in the counseling field and want a Supervisor that stays current on new trends in counseling and mental health and strives for excellence in her own practice?
- I am here to help prepare you to be a top notch counselor whether you plan to go into private practice, work with a non-profit organization, teach as a college professor, become a school counselor, or work in a hospital or treatment facility.
- I am here for You!
Texas LPC Intern Supervision with Cathy Armstrong LPC-S Includes but is not Limited to:
- Ethics, Counseling Purpose, Limits of Confidentiality, Practice Changes
- Establishment and Maintenance of Professional Boundaries
- Reporting of Potential Harm and Safety Issues
- Ways to Protect Yourself in Court, Attorneys, Subpoenas
- Changes in Board Policies and Rules- Records now must be kept a MINIMUM of SIX YEARS
- Learn Counseling Methods, Techniques, and Modalities
- Interpersonal, Cognitive, Cognitive-Behavioral, Psychodynamic, Family Systems Methods and Strategies, 12-Step
- Rehabilitation Counseling, Educational Counseling, Career Development, Play Therapy, Sexual Issues
- Assessment, Diagnostics, Referral Counseling, Hypnotherapy, Crisis Counseling
- Working with Clients to Achieve Mental, Emotional, Physical, Social, Moral Educational, Career, and Spiritual Development and Adjustment Through the Lifespan
- Substance Abuse and Addiction, Learning about the Addictive Brain
- Exploring Various Methods, Models, and Tools of Evidence Based Therapy
- Documentation, Record Keeping, Establishment of Record Custody, Creating a Client File
- When to Terminate with a Client
- Consent for Treatment, Fees for Service, Self-Pay, Insurance
- Individual, Croup, Marriage/Couples Counseling
- Child/Adolescent Counseling
- Intake, Assessment,Treatment Planning, Case Coordination, Releases
- Insurance and Billing in a Private Practice Setting
- Potential Issues in Working with Minors and Couples
- Case Reviews, Boundary Setting, When to ask for help
- Psycho education , the role of the mental health provider
- The role of the LPC Intern working with a LPC-S
- Understand Transference and Counter-transference
- The role of the LPC Supervisor working with the LPC Intern
- Learn Boundaries and Staying in your own lane
- Exploring Professional Strengths and Limits
More About Cathy
I have a combined history of over 40 years of clinical experience in the mental health field as a Registered Nurse and Licensed Professional Counselor-Supervisor. I have both secular and non-secular education. I have education and training in nursing, counseling, and theology. I became a LPC in 1994 and a RN in 1974. I have been doing private practice work since 1998. I am a former Reiki Master and Yoga Prenatal Teacher.
- I offer clients practical skills to overcome their negative thoughts, beliefs, attitudes, and feelings.
- Together we explore neuroscience and find effective ways to work with the brain circuits that relieve worry and stress and promote positive relationships and inner peace.
- My practice is psycho-educational and experiential promoting a journey of personal healing and growth.
- I am here to help individuals and couples stop self limiting beliefs, love themselves more, get in touch with their disowned and unloved parts as they move toward improved self worth and self love.
- My approach is integrative and I incorporate a variety of techniques and modalities to achieve results.
- I teach skills of personal well-being, emotional and spiritual growth, and contemplative practice. I work with individuals, couples, groups, and families.
I help others to identify their blind spots and limitations and turn the negativity and fearfulness into strengths and self honor.
Openings Available for New LPC Interns in the areas of:
Substance Abuse, Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar Disorders, Personality Disorders, Serious Mental Health Disorders, Addictions, Relationship Issues, Couples/Marital/Pre-Marital Issues, School/College Test Anxiety & Study Skills, Sexual Abuse (Date Rape, Childhood Trauma, Adult Trauma), Family of Origin Issues, Family, Group, Individual Counseling, Birth Trauma, Pregnancy, Infertility, Postpartum, Chronic Illness/Pain, Grief/Loss, ADD/ADHD, Anger & Impulse Disorders, Behavior Problems, PTSD, Human Trafficking, Mental Health Triage and Psychiatric Hospital Based Counseling, Displacement, Change, Spiritual Growth, and Faith Based Counseling.
LPC Intern Supervision Promoting competence, skills building, and confidence!
In Working With Children
In the area of Children's Mental Health you will learn how to fully conduct a therapeutic interview, assess for pediatric mood disorders, anxiety, depression, eating disorders, ADD/ADHD, potential learning disorders, developmental delays, abuse, neglect, grief, and problems within the family system.
You will learn about the many challenges faced by mental health clinicians that work with minors. Issues with blended families, step-parenting, dealing with the legal system, subpoenas, attorney involvement, ethical considerations and explore ways to protect your license.
If you are working with children you will learn to apply behavioral counseling, family counseling, group therapy, group play therapy, family play therapy, and prescriptive play therapy. You will learn about play therapy models used frequently in Texas and why they are so popular. You will learn about prescriptive play therapy, expressive and holistic play therapy used frequently in other states in in Canada.
I am looking forward to supervising new LPC Interns that are insightful, show sound judgement in making choices about internship sites, are motivated to learn, and dedicated to professional growth.
If you are interested in me being your LPC Supervisor, please call me to schedule an appointment and bring your resume with you. You can phone me at (361) 688-8200 and leave a message if I am conducting a session or workshop training.
I look forward to hearing from you soon! I have a contract that you need to read and initial before signing me on as your new LPC Intern Supervisor. The contract is considered valid for up to 60 months while obtaining your required 3000 hours of supervised internship. The contract can be broken by either party by putting a request in writing.
LPC Supervision includes:
- Mandatory weekly one hour sessions (60 minutes) Four meetings per month
- Exploration and review of counseling techniques, evaluation of your clinical skills, application of theories to use with your clients, guidance in clinical diagnosis using the DSM 5 and ICD codes as well as frequent review of board rules and the professional code of ethics.
- Assistance with licensing paperwork and documentation of clinical hours. Review of case notes, documentation and treatment plans
- Review of billing code of ethics for LPC Interns. LPC Interns are not legally allowed to receive direct payment for services from insurance companies. The name of the LPC Supervisor in now required on outgoing billing done for payment for a LPC intern. I am responsible to inquire as to how you will be paid for your services at your internship location. My name is required to be on letter head if you are receiving money from revenue that is being billed under your name.This is a new board requirement and I will be happy to explain this to you when we have our first meeting.
- Virtual supervision, group, and face to face individual sessions.
- Where are you now?
- Do you have a masters degree or PhD in counseling or psychology from an accredited university and completed all coursework and practicum as required by the LPC Board?
- Have you successfully completed and passed the National Counselor Exam (NCE)?
- Do you have an intern site where you have access to providing counseling services to individuals, couples, families or group one to one? Have you obtained the packet for application for Internship?
- Did you get your supervisor to review, help you complete and sign the supervision contract with you?
- Have you completed and mailed your application for temporary ,license Practicum Documentation, and the Supervisory Agreement Form along with a copy of your supervisor’s license to the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors?
The process of supervision involves deepening your therapeutic skills, knowledge of process, theory, ethical standards and application to a variety of clients. Supervision helps by giving you with feedback with case reviews as you grow into your role as a professional counselor. I will help you set goals for your growth along the way and ensure that you are well prepared for your full license as a professional counselor. Together we will create your personal career-related goals that will be part of the supervisory process.
Requirements to Start Supervision:
- Copy of Current Resume
- Copy of Transcript
- Practicum Evaluation From Your Supervisor
- Copy of Score from National Counselor Exam (NCE)
- Copy of Temporary License
- Copy of Liability Insurance
- List of Counseling References
- Signed Supervisory Agreement Form
- Licensing Paperwork to Send to the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors
- Please make sure that you have a form for each practicum site
LPC Intern Fees for Supervision
As your LPC intern supervisor, I am available to you via texts, telephone calls, emails and I am available to consult with you in emergency situations on your intern site.
Individual Supervision Exclusive VIA WEBCAM is $400.00 a month
The fee for my service is a flat rate of $200.00 for Group supervision via Zoom! For Individual with 2supervisees the fee is $75.00 per hour
Payment is due at the beginning of each month. I no longer accept checks or credit cards. I accept bank drafts, money orders, and Pay pal .Paypal requires a processing fee that will be applied to your payment. It is 3% plus 30 cents for each transaction. You will be responsible for making payments weekly, every 2 weeks or at the beginning of each month. There are no exceptions! Failure to give 24 hour cancellation notice to cancel and reschedule supervision will be a full session charge and you will be responsible to making up the session with your payments for both the missed session and the rescheduled session within the same month.
I am required to meet with you weekly/4 sessions per month. Plan ahead for the holidays, vacations, and times you are attending training, have to work late, or have personal emergencies.
If you need to break down the payments in two separate installments for the month you are allowed to make payments on the 1st and 15th of each month. Clinical supervision is an investment in your time and career, take your time, check out the various local supervisor and see what each has to offer. You are important and you deserve to have a positive learning experience.
Best of luck to you!