- Clinical Hypnotherapist, Fellow, Board Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist
- EMDR Practitioner and Emotional Freedom Technique Trained (Tapping)
- Registered Nurse with over 40 years of Clinical Psychiatric Nursing/Mental Health Experience
- Certified Mental Health Integrative Medicine Provider (CMHIMP)
Professional Counseling, Education & Training + Experience in:
LPC Intern Supervision with Cathy Armstrong LPC-S Includes but is not Limited to:
- Ethics, Counseling Purpose, Limits of Confidentiality, Practice Changes
- Establishment and Maintenance of Professional Boundaries
- Reporting of Potential Harm and Safety Issues
- Ways to Protect Yourself in Court, Attorneys, Subpoenas
- Changes in Board Policies and Rules- Records now must be kept a MINIMUM of SIX YEARS
- Counseling Methods, Techniques, and Modalities
- Interpersonal, Cognitive, Cognitive-Behavioral, Psychodynamic, Family Systems Methods and Strategies, 12-Step
- Rehabilitation Counseling, Educational Counseling, Career Development, Play Therapy, Sexual Issues
- Assessment, Diagnostics, Referral Counseling, Hypnotherapy, Crisis Counseling
- Working with Clients to Achieve Mental, Emotional, Physical, Social, Moral Educational, Career, and Spiritual Development and Adjustment Though the Life Span
- Documentation, Record Keeping, Establishment of Record Custody, Creating a Client File
- When to Terminate with a Client
- Consent for Treatment, Fees for Service, Self-Pay, Insurance
- Individual, Croup, Marriage/Couples Counseling
- Intake, Assessment,Treatment Planning, Case Coordination, Releases
- Insurance and Billing in a Private Practice Setting
- Potential Issues in Working with Minors and Couples
- Case Reviews, Boundary Setting, When to ask for help
- Psycho education , the role of the mental health provider
- The role of the LPC Intern working with a LPC-S
- The role of the LPC Supervisor working with the LPC Intern
- Exploring Professional Strengths and Limits
I am a mental health provider with both secular and non-secular education. I have education and training in nursing, counseling, and theology. I offer clients practical skills to overcome their negative thoughts, beliefs, attitudes, and feelings. Together we explore neuroscience and find effective ways to work with the brain circuits that relieve worry and stress and promote positive relationships and inner peace. My practice is experiential and promotes a journey of persoanal healing and growth.
I am here to help individuals and couples stop self limiting beliefs, love themselves more, get in touch with their disowned and unloved parts as they move toward improved self worth and self love. My approach is integrative and I incorporate a variety of techniques and modalities to achieve results. I teach skills of personal well-being, emotional and spiritual growth, and contemplative practice. I work with individuals, couples, groups, and families.
I help others to identify their blind spots and limitations and turn the negativity and fearfulness into strengths and self honor.
My Past LPC Work History Includes:
- Day Care Centers- Play Therapy, Consultation, Family and Individual Counseling
- Schools- All Grades Consultant, Counselor, Behavior Therapist
- Head Start- Play Therapy, Parenting, Family Counseling
- Community Organizations- Registered Nurse, Case Management, Counselor
- Medical and Psychiatric Hospitals- RN, Educator, Intakes, LPC Counselor, Substance Abuse Counselor
- Outpatient & In-Patient Units- Drug Abuse Counselor,( Former LCDC ) RN, LPC
- Boot Camp- Counselor/Psychotherapist LPC
- Private Practice- Hypnotherapist, Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor
- Bariatric Weight Loss Clinic-Professional Counselor,Assessments, Group Facilitator RN, Clinical Hypnotherapist
- Chemical Dependency/Substance Abuse Units- Professional Counselor, RN
- Marriage, Couples, Relationships, and Family Counseling
Professional Career Experience as a RN includes:
- Community Mental Health Settings
- Mental Health Outpatient Units
- Energy Healing, Reiki Master
- Holistic Nurse-Life and Wellness Coach
- Mental Health Hospitals
- Home Health Nurse
- Bariatric Weight Loss Clinic
- Case Management
- Hypnotist/NLP Practitioner
- Parent Group Facilitator
- Home Trainer Birth to Three
- Nurse to the Dying
- Bereavement Support Leader
- Support Group Leader for Parents who experienced infant loss
- Educator, Group Facilitator, and Patient Care Provider for Patients with Autoimmune Disorders, Cancer, Death of a Loved one, Birth of a Child that had medical problems
- Pediatric, Labor and Delivery, Psychiatric, Postpartum, Mother Baby Nurse
- Hypnosis Childbirth Educator, HypnoFertility Practitioner, Labor Doula for Natural Childbirth
- Educational Trainer in Advanced Doula Labor Support
My Current Private Practice :
- Evidence Based Holistic Approaches to Promote Mental Health, Wellness, and Health
- Evidenced Based Mind Body Treatment Approaches for Anxiety Disorders
- Gottman Method & Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- CBT Mindfulness
- Pet Assisted Therapy
- Pregnancy, Birth, Postpartum Counseling
- Health Issues, Autoimmune Disorders, Diabetes
- Personal and Professional Growth
- Consultation and Client Education
- LPC CEU Training & LPC Intern Supervision
- Self-Acceptance Healing Shame, Guilt, Fear and Unworthiness
- EMDR, EFT/Tapping, Hypnotherapy
- Nutrition and Integrative Medicine as a Mental Health Provider
- Meditation, and Guided Imagery
Openings Available for New LPC Interns in the areas of:
Substance Abuse, Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar Disorders, Personality Disorders, Serious Mental Health Disorders, Addictions, Relationship Issues, Couples/Marital/Pre-Marital Issues, School/College Test Anxiety & Study Skills, Sexual Abuse (Date Rape, Childhood Trauma, Adult Trauma), Family of Origin Issues, Family, Group, Individual Counseling, Birth Trauma, Pregnancy, Infertility, Postpartum, Chronic Illness/Pain, Grief/Loss, ADD/ADHD, Anger & Impulse Disorders, Behavior Problems, PTSD, Human Trafficking, Mental Health Triage and Psychiatric Hospital Based Counseling, Displacement, Change, Spiritual Growth, and Faith Based Counseling.
LPC Intern Supervision Promoting competence, skills building, and confidence!
In Working With Children
In the area of Children's Mental Health you will learn how to fully conduct a therapeutic interview, assess for pediatric mood disorders, anxiety, depression, eating disorders, ADD/ADHD, potential learning disorders, developmental delays, abuse, neglect, grief, and problems within the family system.
You will learn about the many challenges faced by mental health clinicians that work with minors. Issues with blended families, step-parenting, dealing with the legal system, subpoenas, attorney involvement, ethical considerations and explore ways to protect your license.
If you are working with children you will learn to apply behavioral counseling, family counseling, group therapy, group play therapy, family play therapy, and prescriptive play therapy. You will learn about play therapy models used frequently in Texas and why they are so popular. You will learn about prescriptive play therapy, expressive and holistic play therapy used frequently in other states in in Canada.
I am looking forward to supervising new LPC Interns that are insightful, show sound judgement in making choices about internship sites, are motivated to learn, and dedicated to professional growth.
I supervise LPC Interns that do not have an in-house supervisor.
If you are interested in me being your LPC Supervisor, please call me to schedule an appointment and bring your resume with you. You can phone me at (361) 688-8200 and leave a message if I am conducting a session or workshop training.
I look forward to hearing from you soon! I have a contract that you need to read and initial before signing me on as your new LPC Intern Supervisor. The contract is considered valid for up to 60 months while obtaining your required 3000 hours of supervised internship. The contract can be broken by either party by putting a request in writing.
LPC Supervision includes:
- Mandatory weekly one hour sessions (60 minutes) Four meetings per month
- Exploration and review of counseling techniques, evaluation of your clinical skills, application of theories to use with your clients, guidance in clinical diagnosis using the DSM 5 and ICD codes as well as frequent review of board rules and the professional code of ethics.
- Assistance with licensing paperwork and documentation of clinical hours. Review of case notes, documentation and treatment plans
- Review of billing code of ethics for LPC Interns. LPC Interns are not legally allowed to receive direct payment for services from insurance companies. The name of the LPC Supervisor in now required on outgoing billing done for payment for a LPC intern. I am responsible to inquire as to how you will be paid for your services at your internship location. My name is required to be on letter head if you are receiving money from revenue that is being billed under your name.This is a new board requirement and I will be happy to explain this to you when we have our first meeting.
Virtual supervision, group, and face to face individual sessions.
Where are you now?
- Do you have a masters degree or PhD in counseling or psychology from an accredited university and completed all coursework and practicum as required by the LPC Board?
- Have you successfully completed and passed the National Counselor Exam (NCE)?
- Do you have an intern site where you have access to providing counseling services to individuals, couples, families or group one to one? Have you obtained the packet for application for Internship?
- Did you get your supervisor to review, help you complete and sign the supervision contract with you?
- Have you completed and mailed your application for temporary ,license Practicum Documentation, and the Supervisory Agreement Form along with a copy of your supervisor’s license to the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors?
The process of supervision involves deepening your therapeutic skills, knowledge of process, theory, ethical standards and application to a variety of clients.
Supervision helps by giving you with feedback with case reviews as you grow into your role as a professional counselor.
I will help you set goals for your growth along the way and ensure that you are well prepared for your full license as a professional counselor. Together we will create your personal career-related goals that will be part of the supervisory process.
Requirements to Start Supervision:
- Copy of Current Resume
- Copy of Transcript
- Practicum Evaluation From Your Supervisor
- Copy of Score from National Counselor Exam (NCE)
- Copy of Temporary License
- Copy of Liability Insurance
- List of Counseling References
- Signed Supervisory Agreement Form
- Licensing Paperwork to Send to the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors
- Please make sure that you have a form for each practicum site
LPC Intern Fees for Supervision
As your LPC intern supervisor, I am available to you via texts, telephone calls, emails and I am available to consult with you in emergency situations on your intern site. The fee for my service is a flat rate of $200 per month and is due at the beginning of each month. I no longer accept checks or credit cards.
I am required to meet with you weekly/4 sessions per month.
If you need to break down the payments in two separate installments for the month you are allowed to make payments on the 1st and 15th of each month. Clinical supervision is an investment in your time and career, take your time, check out the various local supervisor and see what each has to offer. You are important and you deserve to have a positive learning experience.
Best of luck to you!